carved street name signs
Photo: Corinna Bergelt, CC BY-ND, Greifensteinregion
The community was founded in around 1200 by a group of settlers led by the monk Jordan
, a statue of whom stands beside the council office to commemorate this. Weavers, and later stocking makers, began settling here in the 17th century, which prompted the industrial development of the town. The Strumpfmuseum (Hosiery Museum)
and the Strumpffabrik (Hosiery Factory)
display historical machines and developments from this time. In 1921, an idyllic outdoor pool
was established, which today draws numerous visitors to take a dip in the cool water. Like many neighbouring communities, Gornsdorf puts on an impressive Easter fountain display
at Easter time (called “Osterbrunnen”), with Easter eggs painted with motifs depicting the four seasons. One special feature is the carved street name signs.